Saturday, July 09, 2011

Things I've never done before Part 1: Finish a knitting project

Ever since I was in high school I've always kept lists of things that I want to eventually do. Some of them were very attainable (go peach picking in the summer, spend more time reading) and others were more ambitious/ridiculous (learn Japanese, own a pirate ship).

Either way it's something I've always done. So I've decided I'm going to start documenting the things I do that I've never done before. Things that might have found a place on a list like that at some point in my life. I've already done a few things this summer that I want to write about, but let's start simple!

Finishing a knitting project!

Back in high school I had a group of friends that were very crafty. They were just great at making things. Clothes, purses, scarves...the whole deal. I, on the other hand, have NEVER been crafty. I'm terrible at making things. One time in Spanish Class we had to make a some sort of flower out of tissue (I'm sure it had something to do with Spanish, but who knows...) and mine literally looked like something you'd find in a dumpster.

Anywho! These crafty friends of mine wanted to start a knitting circle (my hometown was pretty boring so we had to get creative with our hobbies, I have to say we did damn good job of making our own fun) so we could knit and hang out. Well, they taught me how to knit and I realized it was the first crafty thing I wasn't obscenely awful at! We got together a few times to knit, but eventually we stopped and found some other silly thing to do with our time.

Long story short...I never finished anything. Ever. Because all I ever knew how to do was cast off and do a knit stitch. So I would get bored 1/4 of the way through a scarf and give up. I have started COUNTLESS scarves (usually when I was home from college on Christmas vacation) and never finished them.

So fast forward to a few months ago. There's a groupon for knitting classes! At a place that's two blocks from my apartment! And my friend Scarlett wanted to learn too! Yay!

I've been to two classes so far and I'm excited to say I'm ALMOST done with my hat! I dropped a few stitches and don't know how to bind off...so I'm going to wait until next class to finish...but I'M DOING IT! finishing something I started. Ahh..the little things:



I have a lot of yarn leftover so I think my next project will be some simple fingerless mitts to match my hat. And once I get confidant with my abilities I can start making things for other people!

Part 2 of "Things I've never done before" will feature THE WARRIOR DASH! Which was an awesome obstacle course/race I ran/crawled/walked the end of June.

No comments: